Friday, December 3, 2010

Nothing 'NEW' about it!


When I moved to Delhi in 2002, I fell in love with it. Instantly! I am still unable to single out attributes I owe this connection to. Try as I may, I never can; the factors at work are varied. It is true what is said about cities- the energies and vibes are contagious. Despite the sweltering summer heat, the freezing winter chill and the incessant monsoon showers, I would never trade my college life for any other city. Those three years encompassed bustling market places, cheap eating joints, DTC buses, occasional auto rickshaw rides, precious friendships, falling in love, PVRs, bouts of viral fever-ahh! A little bit of everything!

After working there for three years, the bond only grew stronger. I love Delhi in its entirety. It has been a magical charm of sorts for me.

And now, after nine months in NYC, it is safe to say, it’s had the same effect. It’s been like `Delhi’ all over again! Love at first sight.

From all that I have seen, the people are wonderful and have always gone out of their way to help me-be it the cops I have approached for direction or the strangers on the road – I am in awe of the general hospitality this city offers.
The vibes are happy and the energy uplifting. There is warmth around, a blanket of generosity; the edifices are imposing yet humble, the buzz is loud yet soothing.

It’s a mini globe in itself; people from almost all around the world call it their home. And no matter how long or short my stay here is, it will always be special to me.

On a lighter note, here is a list I have come up with on the similarities the two cities share :)
 
Options: be it food or attire, one can buy it off carts on the roadside or head to exclusive stores in the innumerable malls and shopping streets; ranging from the most ordinary to the most bizarre!

Three is a number: Similar to our concept of NCR, the Tri-State area here includes New York, New Jersey and Connecticut- and yes, a lot of interstate travel takes place daily for work, business and pleasure!

Taxis: This is my favorite part. We have yellow cabs like we do in Delhi-and interestingly, Indian cab drivers too. Thus, the rash Delhi driving experience is just a wave away. Even better, the fact that the fares are quite high elevates it further to the level of Saddi Dilli.

Traffic: Driving around Manhattan is as great a luxury as driving in South Delhi traffic, read congestion and the speed (or rather lack of it)!

Vegetation: Scoop out Central Park and we are left with nothing but bricks and cement; exclude the trees around South and Central Delhi and the consequence is identical!

A river runs through it: The Hudson vs the Yamuna. (If only they balanced so on the scale of pollution too)

History: Both cities are rich in their history. Born out of the vision of many great thinkers and architects, they have a compelling past.

Fashion: Both Delhiites and New Yorkers are high on fashion albeit different styles. However, both love their clothes, adapt instantly to new styles and love to go shop whenever they can!

It is no wonder then I have felt at home since day one ! Cheers to the two 'twin' cities that have brought me so much joy!

 




6 comments:

  1. Hey...very nice...simple but vivid analogies...well wrtten...continue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing write-up Neesha...great similarities...wud surely try visiting NY one day...I have one of the most amazing oppotunities to have you as my host !!!

    Keep writing...I love the way you write...

    Cheers...
    Che

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you and yes, you absolutely must visit!! sooner the better:) m sure u'll like this city!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very very very nice.......... nice connections between both the places......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much:) You must visit us soon!!! Infact, you both:)

    ReplyDelete