Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Wonderland



Christmas is here!! 

The season entails much merry making, high spirits, good cheer and an atmosphere of positivity; personally, a bit of nostalgia every December fills me up with bitter sweet memories and in the end a sense of gratitude for all that has been.

December has always been my favorite month. My affinity for winters developed during my school years in Shillong. I owe that to an almost three month long winter vacation before a new school year begun! No more home works, no exams and a long journey to what was my favorite destination then-Pedong-to indulge in the festivities with my Granny.

I vividly remember being welcomed by the faint aroma of the Nepalese staple Christmas Bread called `Sel-Roti’. Walking uphill to my Granny’s quaint brick-laned house lined with sweet pea plants and rose-bushes, the anticipation of tasting some freshly fried bread never failed to tremendously whet my appetite.

Christmas was a time for family reunions-uncles, aunts and cousins- from all around would trickle in over the course of the week adding on to the constant prattling, chortles and the 'merry' hubbub.

Never did we have to buy a tree since the land was blessed with them growing abundantly in the wilderness! A snip here, a cut there and the tree would come to life! The box with the Christmas tree ornaments from last year would 'magically' come out of its cache which we kids would dig into and then happily spend hours doing up the tree. The red and blue shiny orbs, the golden and silver balls, the cherubs, the turtle doves, the stars and everything glittery we could get our hands on. In the end little tony bulbs would be wrapped around the sweet smelling, piny green exterior marking the end of our tree styling activity!!

At a much younger age, I recollect waking up on Christmas day to find a bag of goodies hanging from the bed post- I believed in Santa and his Reindeers, in writing him a note every winter and in gnomes, elves, angels and fairies alike! And there was a time I was gifted a Santa mask which I refused to take off all day and that, paired with my red coat made me believe I was Claus's little helper.

Interestingly,Poinsettia- the red Xmas flower- was also a part of the local flora. Needless to say, bunches of it would be cut and placed in huge vases in homes to add on to the seasonal embellishments!

Come early evening, we kids would run out in groups and go Caroling to our neighbor’s,patiently accepting cash, candies and food. The night ended with a lot of food, dance, games , unwrapping presents and a midnight mass for those of us who could make it downhill before the final sound of the carillon; braving the cold in bright new clothes.

Christmas infallibly reminds me of the days spent amidst loved ones, many of whom have passed. A good friend recently quoted `The thing about moments is that they are never forgotten’- Indeed! Those we love live on in these reflections, in these visitations allowing us to relive some great memories. 

It is true what is said about Christmas  - Love, Gratitude, Joy and Family- that is all there is to it  and that is all we really need!

Wish YOU a Very Merry One!


2 comments:

  1. I love what you write & it so much reminds me of grandma & the wonderful person she was..The joy of Christmas, the simplicity, the love & joy of being present..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much:) Those were some really wonderful years.Cherished memories I am so thankful for:)

    ReplyDelete