Friday, September 24, 2010

Flower Power!



What is with us girls? What is it about a flower that makes us go gaga?

The floral connection for me began way back in school. At least till the sixth standard, I remember plucking a Dahlia (one of my favorites; be it yellow, white, red, purple or pink), Sunflower, Lily, Chrysanthemum and sometimes even a Rose from my garden for a favorite teacher.
Of course, the most loved ‘madams’ would get nothing less than a rose. 

We girls would each hold on to our flowers throughout the bus ride to school careful not to bend or damage the stem in any manner; and on arriving, scout the school premises a few minutes before the final assembly bell to spot our respective targets and wish them good morning in style! Yes, mission accomplished!

It brought me immense joy back then and there is no way I would not stick to my routine, except for those rainy days when things got a little messy and dangerous around the garden.

Then there was the sacred bond we shared. Most of the housewives back then had a habit of offering flowers to the deities along with fruits, a bath and several other ceremonial knick-knacks. This is when the smaller varieties of flowers would be used, harvested from plants of all sizes-tall trees to stunted flowering shrubs. More often than not, ladies would go out of line and pluck a few beauties from the neighbor’s garden. Chaos usually followed.
What I enjoyed the most however, was threading florets into a nice garland for the gods. This was done only on certain auspicious occasions. It would take us kids all day to go about this activity. The creative freedom is what I loved the best; the color combination, the pattern, it was all up to the task taker. 
I would want to use all possible combinations and top it up by a huge flower right at the centre-a pendant of sorts.

As I grew older and moved to a different city, the relationship changed. Flower arrangement competitions were popular and I remember participating in a couple. Personally, I would pluck random flowers and pretty leaves and press them into hard bound books. I loved to see the dried look and never needed a bookmark at all. It sufficed.

Family weddings and parties were a preferred location and I had this habit of collecting and keeping the floral decorations for myself. A habit I lost after a couple of years as I graduated to college and consequentially a new city.

The pact now was receiving and never collecting. Birthdays were made extra special by the plethora of bouquets received. The occasional 'no occasion flowers' were always welcome! I also learned how to use them as super accessories!
The trend continued.

Floral decorations, prints, bouquets, shows, garlands and so much more! The list doesn't exhaust easily.

Flower power: so subtle and yet so strong. Much like we girls! No wonder the affinity!

Femme flower i say!


2 comments:

  1. Good One Neesha...I vividly remember your Flower Pic !!! remember that one ???

    Cheers...
    Che

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes:) Glad you remember and happy you liked it!

    ReplyDelete