Thursday, October 13, 2011

Food For Thought


The uphill trek to that cart parked atop our lane was a routine activity back in the day. Being the youngest member of the family, I was always put up to the task of bringing home some freshly fried ‘Samosas’ and the trademark ‘Pudina Chutney’ from the ‘Thela-Wala’.
As is the case with most of us, street food and I go back a long way. Nothing can match up to the taste of the deep fried goodies I had access to when the Goddess visited us every year. Straight from the stale oil and right into my belly- Divine! The occasional episode of a troubled tummy was good enough to curb my enthusiasm for only as long as the bug lasted.
Delhi opened my eyes and my belly to a whole different culinary world. I have made many a trips to the famed ‘Paranta Zones’ all around the city-as a student and a corporate woman, both. I should mention these trips heeded to neither time nor season. Does anything come close to the 'Nookad ki chai'? The tea lover, or rather addict that I am, that 'cuppa chai' hasn’t disappointed me thus far.
The ‘Dabelis’ and ‘Wada Paos’ I regularly treated myself to during my time in Pune were some of the best I have ever had. Needless to mention, the ‘Pao Bhaji’ reigned supreme!
And now, in New York, things are pretty much the same. Delicious Gyros, Falafal and Chicken over Rice work wonders on my taste buds every single time I stop at a cart.
Street Food is the Grub I love-by far!
It is quite understandable then, that be it anywhere in the city, I am always at homeJ

No comments:

Post a Comment