Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sound Sleeper


Sleep is inescapable and no matter who we are and which part of the world we come from, in a strange way, the somber slumber brings us closer as a kind.
We must admit, a major influence in our sleep pattern is the sound that surrounds us, the noise that reaches us; ranging from a hullabaloo to uninterrupted silence.

As my head hit the pillow last night, this very though came to mind and I made a mental note of sharing my memories with you.

As a kid in Shillong, the nights were tranquil, quiet and peaceful, interrupted only by the footsteps of the neighbor’s spoilt teenage brat, walking down the lane well after 9 P.M.  This most certainly was followed by the reverberation of a severe admonishment coming from the house a few plots away. A welcome break from the monotone of the night’s stillness.
The melodious pitter patter of the rain drops hitting the tinned roof was the reigning champ, unsurpassable in its beautiful resonance.

Pedong was similar to Shillong except that the thunder was louder and the crackling noise when lightning struck would echo back from the open valleys and last longer than usual. 

From the hills of Shillong to the plains of Guwahati; this change introduced a whole new world of night time symphony to me. The rain drops seemed to have lost their tonality and an orchestra of toads played along every time the monsoon visited.  The ducks were not far behind and added on to the cacophony of hectic late night sessions.  
Fortunately, mankind limited itself to drunken revelry.

Delhi was next. My initial few months were devoid of any sleep. Thankfully my body adapted to the constant din around me; I grew immune to the blaring horns, dog fights, cat calls, family fiascoes, door slams and cries of broken hearts and new born babies. Hard to admit but it was difficult for me to feel well rested going to bed without this granddaddy of all lullabies.

Change has struck yet again and I find it hard to sleep uninterrupted by wailing sirens of cop cars, ambulances and more commonly, the fire fighter’s late night drive bys’. 

My tip for a sound sleep? Play around with the sounds that surround!! 




1 comment:

  1. awesome. I felt like I was the one who had spent my nights in all these places :)

    ReplyDelete